How is My Vint Investment Taxed?
Back To Blog

How is My Vint Investment Taxed?

Do I Need To File Anything For My Vint Investments?

Only if you received a distribution.

Investors who have received a distribution from Vint this year are required to file. If you have not received a distribution from Vint this year, you do not have any filing requirements for your Vint investments.

What Do I Need To File?

A 1099-DIV form.

Each Vint collection is structured as a separate Series LLC. Upon creating this LLC, Vint files a Form 8832 to treat the entity as a corporation for taxation purposes. We do this to limit the tax work necessary for investors associated with ownership in LLCs. Due to this election, investors will not receive a K-1 for all investments, but instead a 1099-DIV only when a distribution is received. Investors will receive a 1099-DIV from Vint in the first quarter of the year.

How Are Vint Investments Taxed?

Vint distributions are treated as qualified dividends.

When you receive a distribution from a Vint investment, your distribution includes the cost basis of the sold assets plus any positive (or negative) return on the investment. In the case of a positive return, you are only responsible for taxes on the return portion of the investment. There are no taxes on the return of your cost basis of the investment.

According to Fidelity, “qualified dividends are generally dividends from shares in domestic corporations and certain qualified foreign corporations which you have held for at least a specified minimum period of time, known as a holding period. These dividends are taxable federally at the capital gains rate, which depends on the investor’s modified adjusted gross income (AGI) and taxable income (the rates are 0%, 15%, and 20%). “

When Will I Receive My Tax Documents?

The first quarter following the respective tax year.

Vint will distribute 1099-DIV forms to investors in the first quarter following the respective tax year. Investors will receive a physical copy of their 1099-DIV mailed to the address associated with their Vint account.

An investor may also receive an electronic copy of their 1099-DIV through a secure portal provided by our tax preparation partner, TaxBandits. Investors must consent to the electronic delivery of their tax documents. To learn more about electronic retrieval and consent, visit TaxBandits FAQ page.

Does Vint Offer Tax Advice?


Information provided in any communications is not legal, business, or tax advice. All prospective investors should consult a legal, tax, or business advisor concerning the subject matter of any communications and any offering.

Related Articles

    Provenance is the most essential variable to consider when purchasing investment-grade wines.

    Everything You Need To Know About Wine Investing In 2023

    An in-depth look at the factors and dynamics posed to play out in wine investing in 2023

    Read Article

    Wine Glass

    End Of Year Review 2022

    A look back at a great year for Vint and its community.

    Read Article